You may be good at sewing but can you sew well without some proper equipment?
And when it comes to sewing leather, things become more involved.
Leathers are completely different to that of traditional fabrics. For this, you need a machine with extra stability and power. Regular sewing machine won’t give you that stability, and if anything goes wrong, you will end up making a damn hole in your costly leather.
For this reason, I have shorted out a list of best leather sewing machine currently available on the market to help you to choose and compare quickly. Remember sewing is fun when you have the right machine.
|Machine Name||Weight |
|Janome HD3000||18.7||10 x 19 x 15||4.5|
|Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1||49||18.5 x 17 x 15||4.3|
|JUKI TL-2010Q||37.9||25.7 x 18 x 14||4.7|
|Singer 9960 Heavy Duty||28.1||17.2 x 8.2 x 12||4.3|
|Singer 4432 Heavy Duty||15||15.2 x 6.2 x 12||4.3|
|Brother C6000i||17.4||16 x 6.7 x 11.4||4.5|
|Singer 4423 Heavy Duty||14.5||15.5 x 6.2 x 12||4.3|
1. Janome HD3000– Light weight yet stable and powerful
Janome is a top-rated brand in making basic and industrial level sewing machines. A brand you can trust for buying a costly product like this.
Janome HD3000 heavy duty leather sewing machine is an excellent and most versatile machine currently available on the market. Its upper part is made of plastic, but the core is made of high aluminum. Because of this aluminum body, it helps you to sew heavy materials like leathers and little weight for extra portability and to do light work as Quilting. So it’s the best buy for both beginners and advanced users.
Janome HD3000 comes with 18 built in stitches and 1 one step buttonhole. But honestly, most of the time, when it comes to sewing leather, straight and zigzag stitches are used most of the time.
Due to its adjustable extra high-pressure foot and a powerful motor, you can easily sew through a huge variety of materials as you want, whether it be a thick leather or thin fabric. You just need to adjust the pressure foot, which is really easy.
It also comes with an automatic needle threader, which saves you a lot of time. With a large adjustable 6.5 stitch width, sewing thick materials like leather makes easier.
In short Janome HD3000 comes with
- 18 built in Stitches
- 6.5mm Stitch Width
- Extra High Presser Foot Lift
- Heavy-duty frame
- 5-piece feed dog
2. Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Basic-Most recommended leather sewing machine
Do you regularly sew thick leather or Dacron? If yes, this machine is just the best for you. It’s a perfect example of power with balance. An ideal partner for those who love sewing large varieties of fabrics or any other kind of hard materials.
It’s so powerful that it can easily sew through 10 layers of thick leather or up to 8 layers of Dacron very easily. It’s zigzag and straight stitch walking foot can easily sew through thick materials like sailcloth, heavy canvas, denim, and upholstery fabrics and makes it our recommended best leather sewing machine.
This machine comes from Sailrite, another well-known company making home and industrial level sewing machines. You may find this beast heavier to move around, but since its primary purpose is to do heavy duty, so it’s an added bonus for extra stability.
LS-1 is actually a semi-industrial level machine means you can use many hours a day nonstop without worrying about frequent maintenance. Most of its parts including the whole body frame are metallic. Just use few drops of oil that come with this machine if you have any problem in running smoothly and you are ready to go.
Don’t worry if you don’t have any experience in maintaining such a machine as this device comes with a guide book and a DVD to guide you through the whole walkthrough. Once you fix it in a proper place, all you need to do is developing your creativity; this machine will do its part with no problem.
Sailrite is built using Posi-Pin Clutching System, due to which it can provide 100% power transfer from the balance wheel to the needle. Because of this unique system, it can keep the clutch from slipping while sewing thick, hard to penetrate fabrics.
Overall a great stable, durable, powerful body. Unlike traditional fly wheels, it comes with a Power Plus Balance Wheel, which offers twice the power and size.
In short, Ssilirite Ultrafeed LS-1 comes with
- Zigzag and straight stitch walking foot
- Unique Power plus balance wheel for twice the power and size.
- Extra wide presser foot
- Unique Post-Pin clutching system for more efficiency.
- Adjustable stitch length (6 mm for straight; 5 mm for zigzag width)
- 3/8” foot lift
3.JUKI TL-2010Q-A Machine for Everyone and Everything
Next machine that comes to our list is Juki TL-2010Q. This is an upgraded version of the previous Juki TL-2000Q, which is still one of the one of the best-seller sewing machine available on the market.
Just after launch, it gathered lots of attention because of its unique design and features. Whether you are a professional or a beginner, this machine will deliver the to support to your work. Now why I added this to the list of the best leather sewing machine? Read on…
Juki Tl-2010Q comes with an adjustable speed control system. If you need high speed, it can go up to 1500 stitches per minute, and if you need to slow it down, you can go as slow as 200 stitches per minute. Also, a foot control feature is also available. A convenient feature for every kind of users.
Another important feature that customers are looking for is the size of the throat. Its throat is 8.5-inch in length 5.9-inch in total height. Also, a LED light is also mounted so that you can sew even in low-light condition flawlessly.
This Juki also comes with an extension table(12 inches x 23 inches) to help you with sewing light materials for any DIY projects. Adjustable stitch length is also available with this machine.
In short Juki TL-2010Q comes with
- Adjustable needle up and down button(So that you can manually fix according to your preference).
- Adjustable speed minimum 200 and maximum 1500 stitches per minute.
- Adjustable Stitch Length.
- Automatic Needle-Threader and Bobbin-Winder.
- Extention table and a mounted LED for low light condition.
4.Singer 9960 Heavy Duty– Cheaper yet Premium Quality
Our next machine comes from a very popular brand Singer.Singer’s 9960 Quantum Stylist Sewing Machine comes with many sophisticated functions and future proof technology. If you have a comparatively small budget yet you want the best leather sewing machine, then this is the one you are looking for.
It comes with a durable, heavy duty metallic frame to give you skip-free sewing. With 600 built in stitches and fully computerized system, sewing is much easier for any level of a user.
It also provides you 13 fully automatic and perfectly sized Buttonhole styles. Also unlike other machines, it sews the side of the buttonholes in the same direction to prevent gaps in stitching or fabric distortion. So it gives reliable results every time.
Again for low light condition, it has not just one, but two LED lights and its lighting quality is way better than any machine currently available on the market. Also, it comes with an extension table for easy sewing not just leather but quilting project by giving you a larger area to work with.
Oh did I mentioned that it has an automatic needle threader! Thanks to the big LCD screen, where you just give the input, and it will thread the whole machine, from the spool to the needle’s eye with in just in six seconds. All your values including the selected built-in stitch, stitch length and width settings and recommended presser foot will be displayed on the LCD screen.
Overall a very easy to use the machine with a lot of features and good for sewing heavy materials like leather as well as light fabrics for quilting with its extra sewing space. Its price is also not that much compared to other machines with this much flexibilities. This singer’s 9960 heavy duty is good for anyone from beginners to professionals to fulfill their needs.
In short this Singer’s 9960 Heavy Duty machine comes with
- A huge 600 Built-In stitches.
- 13 Fully Automatic Perfectly Sized Buttonhole Styles.
- A fully automatic thread cutter to save your time and unique drop-in Bobbin system.
- Very efficient lighting system with two LED bulbs.
- Also an extension table, an LCD as a digital advisor.
5.Singer 4432 Heavy Duty– A very high-speed Sewing machine
The next product in our list again comes from Singer. This time it’s Singer’s 4432 heavy duty sewing machine. The reason why I have included this machine in this list is due to the combination of low price and high speed. This machine can easily sew through thick leather and other heavy materials with ease.
Singer 4432 comes with a very powerful motor which is 60% stronger than a normal sewing machine and delivers enough power to sew through heavy materials easily. Plus 1100 stitches per minute ensure a faster sewing processes.
This machine has 32 Built in stitches of which 6 are Basic Stitches, 7 Stretch Stitches, 18 Decorative Stitches, 1 Auto Buttonhole. So you can use Straight and Zigzag for your leather work and other for simple Quilting.
Also, an automatic needle threader and a fully automatic 1-step buttonhole allow you to create professional and perfectly sized buttonholes for your button in just one easy step. The drop down bobbin system makes it easy to replace the bobbin fast and easy. Also, the clear view cover helps you to monitor the bobbin during sewing constantly. Also, stainless steel bed plate provides you smooth fabric feeding for even sewing.
Durability and strength are another cool things about this machine. Its central core is made up of hard metal, which will give you stability and helps to reduce vibration when sewing heavy materials like leather and denim. You can also add walking foot in this machine for more comfort.
Also, you will be provided with lots of accessories including all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper or lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt, soft-sided dust cover, instruction manual, power cord, foot controller and a Quick handy guide.
In short Singer 4432 heavy duty comes with
- A 60% more powerful motor for heavy duty task like sewing leathers.
- 32 built in stitches(6 Basic Stitches, 7 Stretch Stitches, 18 Decorative Stitches, 1 Auto Buttonhole).
- Automatic needle threader and fully automatic 1-step buttonhole.
- Dropdown bobbin system with transparent cover for easy monitoring.
- 1100 stitches per minute for fast delivering your projects.
6.Brother C6000i– Best Computerized Sewing Machine
If you are searching for a sewing machine, you have probably come across this machine. This is currently the number one best selling machine on the market and for some valid reasons, which is why we have included this on our best leather sewing machine 2017 list.
This machine is future proof and fully computerized. Most of the function that comes with is automatic and very easy to use. Even a beginner can just set the input using the buttons and LCD, and the machine will run and finish your projects. It also has a good LED lighting system for a low light condition for easier sewing.
This one has a speed of 850 stitches per minute for fast delivery. You can adjust the speed whenever you want. Also, it has 60 built in stitches of which 7 are one step buttonhole, and other are decorative styles. That’s why you can use this machine for leather working as well as for light and simple quilting projects.
The dimensions of the adjustable stitch length of this Brother C6000i is 5 millimeters in length and 7 millimeters in width. Normally the machine will automatically adjust the stitch length, but you can manually override the settings.
A unique feature that you will receive with this is a Built-in free arm, which you won’t find in another sewing machine of the same price tag. This is a very good additional feature for sewing sleeves, pant legs on children’s’ clothing, and other smaller cylindrical items.
The machine is very easy for threading. Just you need to follow the numbered diagram on the machine, and you will have your machine threaded in no time. The automatic needle threader is also a great feature. Due to the clear bobbin window, you can monitor the bobbin and can easily replace it with the drop down bobbin system. Winding up the bobbin even easier with this machine.
But all this nothing without a good support. That’s why this machine comes with 25 years limited warranty and life time free phone support. That’s why it became one of the best-rated machines on the market.
In short Brother C6000i comes with
- A high tech computerized machine with an LCD and LED lights.
- 60 built in stitches(7 one step buttonhole styles and others for decorative styles ).
- Adjustable speed up to a maximum of 850 stitches per minute.
- Automatic needle threader and fully automatic 1-step buttonhole.
- Dropdown bobbin system with clear cover for easy monitoring.
- An oversized table for more room.
- 25 years of limited warranty and free lifetime phone support.
7. Singer 4423 Heavy Duty– Light but Strong
About the build quality, its upper frame is plastic of high-quality, but the inner skeleton is consists of heavy duty metallic frame. This gives you proper stability, and you can work with it for a longer period without any big maintenance problem.
The next sewing machine on our list is also from Singer. This time this is Singer 4423 heavy duty machine. This is by far the lightest sewing machine on our list.
About the build quality, its upper frame is plastic of high-quality, but the inner skeleton consists of a heavy-duty metallic frame. This gives you proper stability, and you can work with it for a longer period without any big maintenance problem.
Due to its light weight, it’s effortless to move around, but I don’t suggest you to use this machine for sewing very thick leather as it might vibrate. But it will work well if you mount this machine in a fix rigid position. But for sewing thin layers of leather and quilting purpose, this machine is an excellent choice.
In short Singer 4423 comes with
- 23 Built-in Stitches including essential, stretch, decorative and 1 automatic 4-step buttonhole.
- Extra High-speed sewing speed of 1100 stitches per minute.
- 60% more powerful electric motor than a standard sewing machine.
- Stainless-steel bedplate for smooth fabric operations.
- Automatic needle threader and Easy to use drop down Bobbin system with transparent cover.
- Adjustable high pressure foot lifter
- 25 years of limited warrenty.
So Which is The Best Option For You
- If you are looking for a sewing machine for very heavy duty and semi industrial processes which is simple and straight forward, go for Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Basic-Most recommended leather sewing machine.
- If you need both speed and performance with a little bit of fancy stuff, you should go for JUKI TL-2010Q-A Machine for Everyone and Everything. This machine is perfect for sewing medium to heavy leather like materials as well as common fabric for Quilting.
- If you are looking for very modernized and easy to operate machine that can give you a lot of flexibility and portability you must go for Brother C6000i- Best Computerized Sewing Machine.I suggest this machine for these who are beginners in sewing (well professionals can operate any machine :D). Due to its weight and design, it’s highly portable. Also for Quilting purpose, this machine is the best choice.
Leather Sewing Machine-Buyer’s Guide:
Today the market is full of different kind of machines, and it’s complicated to choose the right machine for your type of work. Some machine will give you a lot of features which may look very nice, but most of the time you will never use them. And while considering leather sewing machine, I will always go for the simple one with high durability.
Some of the essential features you should check before buying a leather sewing machine are:
- Power: To be able to sew thick leather flawlessly, your machine must be able to give enough power to run it smoothly
- Weight: Normally lightweight instruments or machines are always preferred for easy portability, but in case of doing heavy work, light machines may create vibrations. So better go for a heavy machine if portability is not a concern.
- Speed: Higher speed means high power, so go for the one with high speed, but also check whether you can adjust the speed easily or not.
- Stitch length: Normally leather sewing machine comes with a wide range of adjustable stitch length up to 8mm. Higher is better. Do consider that according to your needs.
- Built in Stitches: For a straight forward leather sewing machine, most of the time you are going to use Straight and ZigZag style. But for extra decoration, you may go for the one more built-in stitches.
- Automatic needle threader: An automatic needle threader helps you if you have a particularly steady hand and prevents strain on the eyes. Also, an automatic needle threader gets the sewing process started at a much quicker rate than a mechanical needle threader, making the whole process faster and more efficient.
- Adjustable Presser Foot: It helps you to hold the leather or the fabric properly according to your need to prevent puckering and stretching. So having this feather is a plus point.
This is all I have to say. If you have any question, then comment below or contact me through the contact form.